Thursday, May 24, 2012

telling stories

I think we are entering a really awesome new stage with Levi. Suddenly it seems he's really into recalling memories of events that have happened either earlier during the day or a few days ago. And using his limited little vocabulary, he thoughtfully tells as much as he can. I love it!

We have been enjoying this mostly at dinnertime when daddy is home and we talk about what we did that day. At first, I was doing all the talking.

Me: "So we went to the grocery store..."
Levi pipes up: "Pay!"
Me: "That's right, we did pay at the grocery store! What else did we do there?"
Levi thinks about it and looks around: "'Nack." (Translation: Snack, with no S since he hasn't gotten his S sound yet.)
Me: "That's right, you did eat a snack!"

And yes, I do speak with exclamation points. I think it's my favorite piece of punctuation.

Anyway, we are going through a bathroom remodel project, just in the early phases. Yesterday we had one guy do an estimate. He talked a lot, measured the walls and then took pictures. So today, as we are waiting for another estimate man to come, I begin...

Me: "A man is going to come look at mommy and daddy's bathroom very soon."
Levi: "Wall!"
Me: "That's right, he is probably going to measure the walls. What else is he going to do?"
Levi thinks about it, gets a big grin on his face: "Pictures!"
Me: "That's right! He will take some pictures."

Imagine Levi's delight when the man actually did come, measure the walls and take pictures. He will likely also tell this story to daddy over dinner.

I love that Levi seems to enjoy conversation. One of the very first reasons I fell in love with his daddy was because he liked to talk so much. It's so nice to see this trait develop in our little boy, too.

1 comment:

  1. So cute, the beginning of story telling : ) I hope I get to meet your sweet Levi someday.

    ReplyDelete