Monday, November 21, 2011

my lists

I love lists. I don't know how I'd get anything done without them. Grocery lists, daily to-do lists, master to-do lists, honey-do lists, packing lists... I'm particularly thankful for my packing lists. I type all my lists and save them, which then saves me a TON of time later on. Now, whenever it's time to start packing, I open up my most recent list (or the most similar one based on type of trip) and resave and revise.

Once I have the list perfected (which I do by mentally running through each day and writing down everything -- and I mean everything -- that we need), I print it out. I'll then cut the list into sections according to where I need to use it. Levi's list goes in his bedroom, the travel bag/car bag/purse list stays in the kitchen, my list goes to my bedroom. If I remember something as I go, I'll write it down on the list and then later input that change into my document so I have it correct for next time. When I'm finished packing, but there are still things left to put in at the last minute (toothbrush, Levi's sleeping buddy 'Raffe the giraffe), I write that on a piece of yellow notepaper and put it on top of the bag to be checked off in the morning.

I've also recently started writing up the "big things in car" portion of my list, so I know how many big items to account for when loading up the car. Mommy/Daddy suitcase, Levi backpack, Chloe backpack, stroller, diaper bag, etc. It helps keep things sane, especially for air travel. We should have seven things, do we have seven things?

It might seem a little over the top, but ask my hubby... ever since I started using this method for packing, he says it's so stress free and he appreciates it so much. Oh, and he knows not to cross anything off the list without my permission. That's my job. ;)

2 comments:

  1. I thought I actually had everything we needed this trip...I was wrong. I will now be taking your lead and comprising an actual list. thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy's rule for packing is... if we forget anything, we can always buy it when we get there. Takes some stress out! I also write out my lists based on zones, like things we need for sleeping (pack n play, etc.), for eating, for playing (toys to bring), for wearing, etc. Helps a lot!

    ReplyDelete