Wednesday, September 21, 2011

up, up and away

My little guy Levi, now almost 14 months old, has flown with me 7 times. (Once was a one-way back from a family Christmas road-trip, thus the odd number.) The longest trip was from D.C. to Oregon, with a stop in Chicago, and it's amazing how easy a 2-hour flight now seems! This -- in list form, because I love lists and you will be reading many lists from me -- is how we survived, maybe even thrived, on our most recent trip.


1. Check in. This is the least graceful part, with me lugging the car seat (giant, convertible carseat) in its carrier bag with strap, pushing the wheely suitcase and pushing the stroller. I'd scooch Levi and the carseat up a few steps, then drag the suitcase behind me. I figured the line wasn't going anywhere fast, so if I took my time and looked calm, I'd look competent.


2. Security. Somehow I managed to score the special line for wheely people, which had no line and no harried business people breathing down your neck. Excellent. I'm able to keep Levi on my hip while I collapse the stroller and hoist it onto the belt. I collect my stuff, strap the boy back in his seat and I'm on my way before the guy in front of me has finished putting his belt back on!


3. Waiting to board. This is the worst part, I think. Levi just wants to get out of the stroller and push it (which I won't allow because I don't want him running over people or things). He settles for just being able to squat near the wheels and inspect the brakes. A nice lady talks to me a little, tells me about her grandkids and generally makes the world seems like a more friendly place.


4. Boarding. So much for pre-boarding! By the time they announce that, they've already called for the first group of passengers. I collapse the stroller for gate check and tie it up with a bungee cord since it pops open sometimes and I don't want it to be mangled. 


5. Getting settled. I stash the diaper bag (filled with toys), lunch box (attached to diaper bag, filled with food) and my bag (filled with my wallet, etc. and the magical iPad) all under the seat in front of me. I wait patiently for my seat neighbor to join. Phew, it's a nice, narrow man who actually says hello when I say hello! Much better than the business men who pretend you don't exist in hopes that it'll keep your kid quiet.


6. Take-off. Levi has his binky (usually only for car and nap), and he alternates that with some sweet potato baby puffs. All of a sudden, I notice the puff eating has slowed down and he's closing his little eyes. What?! He's going to sleep in my lap? A rare occurrence that I do not take for granted. That lasts the first 45 minutes while he does that twitchy thing people do when they are in a deep sleep. I watch HGTV without headphones.


7. Mid-air. Once he wakes from his power-nap, I immediately get out the lunch. I've cut up Levi's sandwich (hummus and turkey on whole wheat bread) and smushed it into a little lunch container. Not an attractive presentation, but he goes with the flow. Follows that with a bag of strawberries. Cries when all the food is gone. I distract with books/toys/etc., but really he just wants more food and then somehow we're almost ready to land!


8. Landing. Uneventful, but I realize I didn't even have to break out the iPad. Levi doesn't understand the concept of headphones yet, but he can be entertained with it anyway if necessary.


9. Daddy! Daddy parked the car and waited for us at baggage claim, even though I thought he'd just pull around like normal. That was a nice surprise. Made me feel special. ;)


No one is handing out medals for successful air travel with a baby or toddler, but it sure does feel good when it all works!

No comments:

Post a Comment