Monday, October 10, 2011

heart of the home

A good kitchen is near the top of our house hunt criteria list. It's one of the reasons that Andy and I loved the house we live in now. The kitchen is where everyone gathers and sits at the big island (now bigger even because we added a few inches when they installed the new granite). Speaking of the new granite, here's a picture the realtor took for our brochure:


Pretty, isn't it? I'm enjoying it, and the nice deep single sink and new faucet, while I can. I chose the color that I would want, hoping that the new homeowner likes it too.

Here's an example of what I want in my next kitchen:


Hah! Just kidding. Or am I? This is from the Hillwood Estate in D.C. that I toured last weekend with my dear friend Anna, a fellow Delta Zeta and former roommate. What a beautiful home! This was the kitchen, which I of course loved. The linoleum floor and formica type counters were so funny to see in a mansion, when now people seem to turn up their noses at it. There were NO dishwashers, either, but three really huge sinks.

I think one way I'll be able to tell we've found the right house is when I feel at home in the kitchen. That happened with this townhouse for me five years ago. I walked in and pulled out the chair at the counter and sat down. I don't know what possessed me to do that! You never think to sit down when you're house hunting, but it just felt right. Here's hoping someone has that feeling when they walk into this house and that we find that feeling somewhere else, too.

3 comments:

  1. love the new granite. and i love a beautiful kitchen, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the second kitchen is GORGEOUS, but I love your kitchen, too. I remember feeling so cozy and at home there (and everywhere else in your house) when we visited you guys. :)

    ReplyDelete